Recreation Department Recognized Sports Club Event Liability

The University of California has created an insurance program to cover Recognized Sports Clubs for most on and off campus events. Events covered by the policy are paid for by the University. However, Recognized Sports Clubs are responsible for making sure their event is covered and may need to complete a registration form to request certificates of insurance for off campus venues. Additionally, once at the beginning of each season, it is required to obtain signed waivers from all sports team participants.

As you plan your event, it's essential that you make certain you have the appropriate insurance coverage. Don't put it off; take care of the insurance now!

  • Background
  • Exclusions
  • Request a Certificate
  • Add/Delete a Sports Club
  • Claims Reporting

Recognized Sports Club Event Liability Summary

The Philadelphia Indemnity Insurance policy will provide $2,000,000 coverage for the following participants:

  1. Members of governing body &/or their appointed officers (including volunteer workers or individuals paid less than $5,000 per year for their assistance
  2. Association
  3. League
  4. Team
  5. Camp or School Officers or Officials
  6. Coaches and Managers
  7. Trainers and their Assistants
  8. Game Officials and Referees except independent contractors who are paid for their services*
  9. Statisticians and Scorers except independent contractors who are paid for their services*
  10. Groundskeepers and Ushers
  11. Volunteer workers
  12. Dance and Performing Arts
  13. Concession and Refreshment Stand workers except independent contractors who are paid for their service*. Individual Participants and Players

*Third party contractors involved should provide their own insurance coverage


  1. Aircraft/ Hot Air Balloon Rides
  2. Abuse/Molestation
  3. Airport
  4. Amusement Devices
  5. Bungee Jumping
  6. Inverted Aerial Maneuver
  7. Leased/Loaned/Rented Recreational Vehicle
  8. Object Propelled
  9. Participant Legal Liability for BOX biking and Mountain biking
  10. Player vs. Player Claims
  11. Pyrotechnicians/Fireworks
  12. Rodeo and Roping Event

If you are scheduling an excluded event, please contact the Mercer Customer Service Center at 866-838-9536 between 6:00 am and 3:00 pm Pacific Time. Your request will be submitted for potential placement of coverage.

Request a Certificate

All requests for Certificates of Insurance must be directed to the Mercer Service Team. Contact information provided below:

Mercer Service:

Service Phone Number: 1-866-838-9536
Service Fax Number: 515-365-3005

Please print and complete the following registration form to be submitted to the Mercer Service Team.

Form more information view the University of California Accident Medical policy.

Add/Delete a Sports Club

If your sports club has been recognized and approved by the University Rec Sports Department as a new club or if you need to remove an inactive club from the policy, please complete the Rec Sports Club Insurance Program Add/Delete Form provided here and email it to Mercer Consumer CampusConnexions at .

If you have any questions, please call us Monday - Friday, 8am-5pm CT at 866-838-9536.

Sports Club Add/Delete Form

Claims Reporting

How to report a claim:

  1. Gather the Facts

    When reporting a notice of loss (injury, property damage to third parties, auto accidents, etc.; related to a registered event), please provide as much detail as possible. This should include, but not be limited to, Insured Name (The Regents of the University of California plus student organization/club name), Contact Name (student organization/club), Policy Number, Claimant Name, Claimant Contact Information, Date of Loss, Location of Loss, Cause of Loss, Your Policy or Reference Number, Initial Steps Taken to Mitigate the Loss, Type (s) and Description of Damage and Estimated Amount of Loss.

  2. Report
    • Available Online
    • Philadelphia Insurance Companies
      Attention Claims Department
      One Bala Plaza, Suite 100
      Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004-0950
    • Phone: 800-765-9749
      Fax: 800-685-9238
      Email –
  3. Follow Up
  4. The claims customer service department will immediately process your first notice of loss and you will be contacted by your servicing representative.

    For information on how to report a University of California Accident Medical claim, view the instructions below for the ACE Process. You must report the accident to ACE prior to reporting to Philadelphia.

  1. Gather the Facts

    When reporting a notice of an injury to a member and/or participant, please provide as much detail as possible about the circumstances of how the injury occurred. The information you gather will be needed on the claim form, see below, and the servicing representative will obtain further information when needed. Details should include, but not be limited to, Insured Name (UC Campus and full name of the student organization/club), student organization/club Contact Name, Policy Number (provided on form), Injured Member/Participant Name, Date of Loss, Description of the Injury, Description of the Event where the Injury Occurred, Physical Location where Injury Occurred, Cause of Injury, Your Reference Number (if applicable), Initial Steps Taken to assist the injured participant, any medical reports or invoices received from or on behalf of the injured participant.

  2. Report
    • ACE Accident Claim Form in PDF
    • Follow the instruction on the form, complete the form and obtain the required signatures and mail to:
      ACE American Insurance Company
      P. O. Box 15417
      Wilmington, DE 19850
    • Phone: 800-336-0627 or 302-476-6194
      Fax: 302-476-6154
  3. Follow Up
  4. The claims customer service department will immediately process your report and you and the injured participant will be contacted by your servicing representative.